For someone who loves to read, I barely ever post about books. Time for a change! Starting with 5 great post apocalyptic books worthy of a weekend.
1. I am Legend by Richard Matheson – Dont be put off by that film from 2007, it’s a fantastic book.
“A terrible plague decimates the world, and those unfortunate enough to survive are transformed into bloodthirsty creatures of the night. Robert Neville is somehow the last living man on Earth.”
2. The Road by Cormac McCarthy – Ive never read a story with so much silence, McCarthy paints a bleak future.
“A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray …They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road.”
3. The Chyrsalids by John Wyndham – Written during the cold war, this is John Wynham at his best.
” …set in the future after a devastating global nuclear war. David, the young hero of the novel, lives in a tight-knit community of religious and genetic fundamentalists, who exist in a state of constant alert for any deviation from what they perceive as the norm of God’s creation… (abnormalities) are banished from human society, cast out to live in the wild country where, as the authorities say, nothing is reliable and the devil does his work.”
4. Do Android’s Dream Of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick – So you’ve seen Blade Runner and think you already know this story? Well, better get your read on becuase it’s very different.
“By 2021, the World War had killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remained coveted any living creature, and for people who couldn’t afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacrae: horses, birds, cats, sheep. . . They even built humans.”
5. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood – This is the first of a trilogy about a genetically engineered plague, a slow but beautiful read.
“Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwhelmed by a plague, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the last human… embarks on a journey… through the lush wilderness that was so recently a great city, until powerful corporations took mankind on an uncontrolled genetic engineering ride.”